Thursday, August 7, 2008

You don't want to know

So, I was reading the story from Genesis 3 to my kids tonight. We read "The Jesus Storybook Bible" which I highly recommend,. . . it tells the story of Jesus throughout the scriptures, which is a good, reformed way of understanding the meta-narrative of scripture. . . but I digress.

The way they paraphrased the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" was like this: ". . .if you eat from this tree, you'll think you know everything. You'll stop trusting Me, and death and pain will come."

I thought that was a pretty amazing paraphrase, and one that hits home for me with a number of things going on in my life right now.

When things aren't going the way that we would like, we so quickly jump to the "why God" questions as if we know what is best for us. Its not wrong to question God, in the right spirit; David obviously had huge questions throughout his life, recorded in the Psalms.

But, really, we don't want to know the intricacy and the entirety of God's plan that he's working through our lives at any given moment. We couldn't handle it,. . .and as Adam and Eve so tragically showed, . . .we would undoubtedly screw it up. Its not like we handle our "limited knowledge" life flawlessly anyway. :)

To wrap up the evening, I played a little NCAA Football 2007 whilst listening to Matt Chandler's latest sermon. Its one of my favorite things to do while listening to a sermon :)

You've heard me recommend Chandler before on this blog,. . . . .but let me just be so bold to say, that you need to take 30 minutes and listen to this. Yes, you. . . you there. . . you need to hear this.

The sermon is entitled "Perplexing" and he honestly and forthrightly (as he does so well) deals with the fact that God is often concealing his plans from us. Not deceiving. . . . . God does not lie. . . .but concealing.

Do your soul a favor and check it out.

Aaron

"What if it were true that all of history was not about your life?"

No comments: