Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thinking about Family

I've come across some interesting articles/sermons related to family this week on this new thing called the World Wide Web, or as my brother, Trev, and I say, "the internets" :) .

This story in The Economist was scary and sad. Albert Mohler has a great commentary here. . .check it out, it's a quick read.

What do you do with something like that? It's sad. We should fight against injustice, call a spade a spade, and mostly, pray.

I also think there's an opposite mistake to make; that is, idolizing your family. This is definitely more common in the West. I see it all the time, even in my own heart. There's a great sermon that's worth 30 minutes of your time here, from Rev. Kevin DeYoung.

Why do we as American parents struggle so much with guilt, burnout, imbalance (fatigue, sickness), and sin, (anxiety, drugs, affairs) in our life?

I think Rev. DeYoung has an answer for us here. You're not going to hear this sermon very often at church. I never have, as a matter of fact. But, we need to hear this. . .we need to hear Jesus' words about family and let them sink in. I hope all the parents out there will take some time to listen.

No comments: