Saturday, August 8, 2009

Tuneage

I don't usually do straight music recommendations,. . . . .There's a few reasons for that:

1) Everyone has their preferences, and it doesn't bother me if someone likes different music than I do.

2) I'm around music alot and like to write about other things

3) I absolutely loathe the "this is a new band. . only I know about them. . you have to check them out. . . .you don't love music if you don't" attitude. And I don't want to come across that way.

4) I have a rather high bar in this area and you have to be, a) a really good songwriter or b) a really good musician, for me to get fired up. Not that I am the sole arbiter of musical talent. . but I think we all know that image tends to matter more these days than either songwriting or musicianship, so it's kind of rare.

That being said:

Dave, Carter, Stefan, Boyd, and LeRoi (RIP) are just showing off at this point, and I love it. "Why I am" and "Funny the way it is" are two of the fattest grooves you will ever hear on the radio. I have to start moving when they come on in my car, and it gets dangerous really quick. Yes, that's the Dave Matthews Band, folks. I know, this makes me old, but I challenge anyone to find better players than these guys (as a unit). It's great stuff on this new album, check it out.

I don't like to jump whole-hog on the Hillsong United/Brooke Fraser bandwagon. There are many reasons for this. . . that's another blog. But, our friend Brooke (say it in your best Aussie accent: Fryzuhh!) hit a grand slam with this tune, "Shadowfeet". I'm going to figure out how to sing this chorus at church (perhaps with a different verse, or no verse). She's not my favorite singer, but these are great lyrics. What powerful truth:
when the world has fallen out from under me
I'll be found in you, still standing
when the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees
when time and space are through
I'll be found in you, still standing

More worship songs should be like this and take the focus off of us and place it on Christ and what He's done. See, for the "me" generation it's good to hear that. . . on that day, it won't matter what we did or how cool we are, or what are facebook pictures looked like, or how many followers we have on twitter. . . We'll be found in Him, and with His Righteousness, not our own.


Great tune. enjoy.




HT: Metropuritan

PS: One more. "Stitched up" by Herbie Hancock/John Mayer is not new. . . . .but I just want to say that this song rocks. Notice how Herbie plays the blues riff a little behind the beat on piano, thus giving it that bluesy drag. Masterful performances all around on this one. I don't know who's on drums, but that is a masterclass on how to play behind the beat and draw folks into the song. (Also see: every song by AC/DC for this little trick)

No comments: